Sailing to where the Sun Rises

There came a day when diUmrbia and Juan Garrion had gone with a Captain Kosevo to Edo, in Japan. It was the first time they had been to the Far East, though Kosevo had been there many times. There were two other captains, a Cyril and another name, now forgotten. The two newcomers were not allowed in the city, though Kosevo helped Juan Garrion transfer goods. Afterwards, somewhere in the Indian Ocean, they all got separated.

Juan Garrion found his way to the west, to the port of Natal, and from there back around Africa and on to Europe. diUmbria was a bit further behind in his slower ship, but followed much the same route. His only mishap was being ambushed by pirates near the cape while he was below decks; they quickly boarded his unguided vessel and, painfully, stole diUmbria’s ruby and one of three rare Foromosan artifacts, both he’d gotten from exploring a catacomb with Juan Garrion in Spain; and a chinese fish he’d caught along the way. No real harm was done though, so he pressed on.

Kosevo eventually communicated with them each by written correspondence, apologizing for the separation and offering to tow them back to Europe, assistance which neither captain required.

For the Venetian, his most treasured experience was seeing Mount Fuji, the perfect cone something he thought he might never see with his own eyes. While the others had been busy engaged with trading, he had gone out to sea for a bit to view the majestic sight. Even the city of Edo was amazing, with its exotic architecture it was a world apart.

It took the Joy of Triton just over 30 days to sail from Natal to Luanda, suffering a brief fire that managed to destroy all the Japanese fish that diUmbria had caught and one of the worst storms he’d ever suffered through.

After days of uneventful sailing and a short stop at Sao Tome, about 20 days of sailing found diUmbria again attacked by pirates; this time he thought he was getting away, but the other ship had a forward mounted cannon that he didn’t expect. So the last Formosan artifact went, as did a good portion of the fishing haul. Shortly after they put in at Sierra Leone with the intention of resting a few days before setting to sea again.

Leave a Reply:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *